About the Temple
Built by Harisaran Bhanja in the year 1680. The Jagannath Temple is called Baldev Jeu Temple in Buguda.
The temple is at the opposite end of the road to Biranchi Narayan Temple. Both the Biranchi Narayan and Baldev Jeu are built in such a way that devotees can watch the Aarti of both the temples if one stands mid way of the road connecting the two temples.
Legend of Lord Jagannath in Ganjam
The Jagannath cult in Ganjam is quite prevalent and each king or landlord built a Jagannath temple in their area. The reason being historians believe that Ganjam was the birth place of the Jagannath cult.
The original deity was ‘Kitungu” -(the Lord of the Woods)-worshipped by the Sabara Tribals in the hills of Mahendragiri. Later on Kitungu assumed the name of “Jagunta” before he became to be known as Lord Jagannath.
Rath Yatra is the main festival of the temple.